5G technology is the next generation of communication technology, which has to arrive after 4G. Communication technology has moved up a lot during last 4 decades. Things which looked impossible 4-5 decades earlier, have became a normal reality in the present world.
Everything started with 1G hitting the markets in 1980s, after that 2G arrived in 1990s, 3G arrived in decade of 2000, and ultimately 4G became normal in 2010s.
Now naturally, things are not going to remain stuck at same point for too long. So, the next generation of technology which is yet to be developed fully, is called 5G. Common man and experts both believe that 5G technology will significantly improve the standard of life of those who will be able to afford it.
Experts strongly believe that 5G will give a strong push to the concept of Internet of things (IOT ). Internet of things is a concept which aims to connect everything from houses and cars to buildings and roads to internet, for better life standard.
5G Technology vs 4G Technology
Everyone is curious to know that how 5G will be better than 4G, and how much will be the difference between quality of service provided by both.
Let’s have a look at major differences between 4G and 5G :-
1. Speed :- Theoretically speaking, 4G LTE technology is capable of providing up-to 100 MBPS speed. 5G can provide speed up-to 10 GBPS, which is almost 100 times more than the speed of a 4G network.
Even if, we look from a consumer’s point of view, we can say that 5G will provide speeds, which will be 10-100 times higher than 4G networks.
2. Cost :- According to experts, cost of data will further reduce with arrival of 5G. Decline in the costs will not be as dramatic as caused by arrival of 4G, but a slight reduction will be there.
3. Energy consumption :- 5g will reduce energy consumption by up-to 90% of present standards. So, a battery which works for 5 hours with 4G, will work for 40-50 hours with 5G. Due to this, overall battery life will also increase.
4. Latency rate :- Latency rate refers to response time of the network. 4G has a response time of roughly 200 milliseconds. 5G brings it down to just 1 millisecond. It’s so fast that a normal human being will struggle to adjust with this speed.
5. Device connectivity :- With a 4G network if we can connect 4-5 devices, it’s considered to be a big thing. But with a 5G network, we will be able to connect around 100 times more devices.
With 5G, it will be possible to have 100s of devices connected with each other at the same time. It looks too good to be true, but it’s going to happen within next few years at a really big scale.
5G launch in India
Earlier, it was expected that 5G will be launched in India, by the end of 2020. But, due to coronavirus spread, things got delayed. Now, it’s expected that large scale rollout of 5G devices and 5G internet services will start by the end of year 2022.
Government of India will hold the 5G spectrum auction in first or second quarter of 2022. After this, large scale use of 5G services will become possible by the end of 2025, as telecom companies will have to invest lot of money and time to create adequate infrastructure for 5G.
We can expect that by year 2030, most smartphones will become 5G enabled, and most internet users will start enjoying 5G technology.