There are many companies in the world which produce laptops and desktops, but all of them are not same. Let’s find out which are the best personal computer companies in the world on the basis of their annual revenue and market share of the year 2020.
Following are the top 6 PC companies of the world for year 2020 :-
1. Lenovo :- Lenovo was founded by Liu Chuanzhi in 1984, and it has global headquarters in Beijing, China.
Its annual revenue for financial year 2020-21 was around 60 billion US dollars. It had a market share of 24.9 % in the year 2020. Its revenue saw record breaking growth in year 2020, and reached at highest ever point for Lenovo.
Other than personal computers, Lenovo also produce tablets, smartphones, supercomputers, electronic storage devices, smart TV etc.
Lenovo operates in more than 60 countries and sells its products in around 180 countries. It has research centers in Beijing, Chengdu, Yamato ( Japan ), Shanghai , Shenzhen, and Morrisville (North Carolina, US).
2. HP Inc. :- HP was founded in 1939 by Bill Hewlett and David Packard. It has headquarters in Palo Alto, California, United States.
Its revenue for the year 2020 was 56.6 billion US dollars, and it had a market share of 21.2 % in PC market in 2020.
Before 2015, HP Inc was known as Hewlett Packard Company. In November 2017, HP acquired Samsung electronics’ printer division for $1.05 billion.
3. Dell :- Dell was founded by Michael Dell in 1984. It has headquarters in Round Rock, Texas, U.S.A.
Its annual revenue for financial year 2020-21 was around 94 billion US dollars. It had market share of 16.4 % in 2020.
Along with personal computers, Dell also sells servers, peripherals, smartphones, and smart TVs. Dell employs more than 165,000 people around the world, making it one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
4. Apple :- Apple was founded by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne in 1976 to develop and sell personal computers. It has headquarters in California, United States.
It had revenue of 274 billion US dollars in year 2020, and its market share according to no. of units sold was 8.2 %. Despite having a lower market share, its revenue is so high mainly due to very heavy pricing of every apple product.
It is one of the big five American IT companies along with Facebook, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. In August 2018, Apple became the first publicly traded U.S. company to be valued at over $1 trillion.
Its brand loyalty level is very high and it is consistently ranked among the most reputed brands of the world. In 2020, more than 1.6 billion apple products were being used by people all over the world.
5. Asus :- Asus was founded in 1989 by Ted Hsu and 4 other people. It has headquarters in Beitou district of Taiwan.
It had overall revenue of 12.6 billion US dollars in 2019, and had a market share of around 6 % in 2020.
It also produces mobile phones, tablets, wi-fi routers, optical storage, graphic cards, projectors, servers etc. It is a relatively new brand for global market, but it’s developing a good reputation for its products’ quality.
6. Acer :- Acer was founded in 1976 by Stan Shih, and his 2 other friends. Its headquarter is located in New Taipei, Taiwan.
It had annual revenue of 8.44 billion US dollars in 2019, and had a market share of 5.9 % in 2020, on the basis of no. of units sold.
Acer started with only $ 25,000 in capital and a small team of 11 people. Initially, it was primarily a distributor of electronic parts and a consultant in the use of microprocessor technologies. But due to constant hard work of its team, it become a well known global brand in next 4-5 decades.